Responses to protests
All protests will get some kind of response.
Responses can come from:
- members of the public passing by,
- posts on social media,
- mainstream media coverage,
- counter protests,
- statements from politicians, and
- police and the legal system.
While all of these responses can impact protestors, it is the potential police and legal responses that cause the greatest concern. The risk of police and legal action can impact people’s confidence or ability to engage in protest activities.
The pages below cover common police tactics and legal responses used or threatened against protestors.
Discussing the potential responses with your group can help your group members to:
- plan for possible outcomes,
- make more informed choices about how to participate in an action,
- feel more confident in understanding the possible responses for participating in an action.