Just because you have been arrested does not mean that you will necessarily be charged. You may be:
- Released without charge
- Released and charged at a later date
- Charged and released on bail
- Charged and brought before a A person who is not a judge or magistrate but who has authority to grant or refuse bail (q.v.), usually at a police station.
If you are being released, you will be asked to sign the Attendance Register Book at the police station where you were held. Signing the Attendance Register Book acknowledges that:
- The police have not taken anything from you
- You have been treated reasonably
- You have received your police charge sheets
You do not have to sign the book if you do not want to.